Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Discovery Art

I tend to go through stages in my art, where for awhile I'm fixated on a particular art supply or technique.

A few years ago I got Carla Sonheim's Drawing Lab for Mixed Media Artists and became fixated on one of the exercises where you randomly slap water color onto the paper and then look for the animal or face or whatever that's in the paint. You then use a pen to draw in the details.

Over the course of a few weeks,  I must have created over 100 of these things. Many were fanciful animals, but as usual, I often saw people in the paint. These are some of the better ones.

I realize now that the exercise helped solidify in me that more "intuitive" sense I use to make art. Some people know what they are going to create and start right away. For me, it's more of a "finding what the piece is going to be" kind of thing.  Another way in which I'm an "accidental artist."








No comments: