Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Magical Child Rising


For the past several months, I've been taking an online Goddess painting course with Sheri Ann Ponzi and we've been exploring painting from a much more intuitive space. I did this on a day when I started out trying to paint my inner Goddess, but it turns out my Muse had other things in mind. 

I'm not going to lie. Most of the time I'm a control freak and it's hard for me to let go enough to allow images and things to rise within me, which is one of the main points of the course. I've been getting much better at following the flow of the work, standing back and just letting the painting sort of tell me what's needed next. But if I'm not in the right head space, forget it. I'm more likely to screw it up than anything else. 

In this case, I was splashing and scribbling around, when I saw the child's face in the painting. Then I saw the sort of angry looking adult on the side. And it went from there. 

This is one of the most personal paintings I've done, representing both pieces of my childhood as well as, I think, my innermost psyche. It's hanging in my studio where I also do most of my journal writing (I have two--one for writing and one for art) and I often look at it when I'm sitting there with my morning coffee. Although I would be willing to sell some of my art, this is one I would never part with.  It speaks to me on a very deep level. 

No comments: