Tuesday, July 30, 2013

On Risk Taking



The other day on my professional blog, I used this image to illustrate the value of taking risks. Every six months I'm setting goals for myself and from July through December, several of my goals have been about art.

For me, making art has been a hobby, but I'm now pushing myself to see if it could be something more in my life. So I revived this blog and began sharing my art on Facebook. I've also submitted to show my pieces in a few different places--a coffee shop and a show in Collingswood, NJ. I'm thinking about teaching an art journaling workshop through a local organization.

I turn 50 next month and I feel like it's important for me to keep pushing myself to take on new challenges and try new things. Art is an area where I feel less competent in my life, where I have lots of room to grow and expand. Sometimes it's painful and scary to push myself here because I fear making mistakes or looking "stupid," but we should all find ways to be a beginner. It's what keeps life new and fresh.

No comments: