Friday, May 03, 2013

Hanged


I painted this a few months ago, but it seems particularly appropriate to my feelings today.

In Tarot, the Hanged Man is one of the major arcana, a sign of a larger life influence, a bigger trend rather than a passing issue. When I painted this, I actually started with the hanged woman upright, so in Tarot terms, she would have been "reversed." 

Reversed, the Hanged Man can indicate:

A loss of faith in your ability to surmount life's obstacles. You may be refusing to go within for spiritual nourishment. It is very important at this time to look within through mediation and restore your faith in your ability to get over life's challenges. Know that this difficult time will soon pass. Accept your circumstances and be at peace with yourself.

I can feel this right now, the need to go within again for a time. I haven't meditated or written in my journal for weeks and I can feel the difference. 
The main lesson of the Hanged Man is that we "control" by letting go. We "win" by surrendering. . . The Hanged Man also tells us that we can move forward by standing still.
 In readings, The Hanged Man reminds us that the best approach to a problem is not always the most obvious. 
I'm trying to force decisions and actions right now, particularly in my work life. But I can feel a lot of negative energy within me around that.

In my day job, I tell people that it's better to act from inspiration, rather than from desperation, but sometimes I don't take my own advice. I'm not in desperate circumstances right now, at all, but I can feel the weight of negativity, rather than of inspiration and aspiration driving me right now. I need to go within to re-connect to those things that give me energy and fill me with hope. I need to leave behind those things that drain me or fill me with frustration and sadness.

No comments: