Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Scribbled


Sometimes in my journal, I just start laying down paint. The beauty of acrylic is that you can let things emerge. You don't have to know exactly where you're going to go, like with water color or other media. You can just start putting strokes on paper. 

The image above came out of me starting with random sections of paint markers and then I saw a face in them. It's one of my favorites right now. 

The one below was created the same night. You can see my new obsession with random patterns and jagged lines using gel pen. I think I'm exploring fractures in the mask of self we show to the world. At least that's how it feels to me. 


This one, I didn't know what the hell I wanted to do--just started painting a face with random colors. The turquoise and red are a little too Christmasy for me, but I decided to just go with it.  I added the gel pen designs later. 



Working on being looser, not getting into a total rut. I find that it's easy for me to develop particular ways of entering into a piece but then I lose the opportunity to experiment, etc. So trying to find the balance between discovery and my own style.

No comments: