Thursday, April 25, 2013

Journal Cover



This is the cover to one of my current journals. I started with a Gelli print background on water color paper, but you can't really see it now. It's mostly Inktense pencils and my Posca paint pens. 

The interesting thing for me is that as I've been working more on the art, I find that words are less accessible to me. I've always been more of a writer than an artist so this is a strange feeling for me. I feel like I should be able to mix the two, but for me, at least, it seems that they are two sides of my brain that aren't well integrated. 

I also find that I don't want to "ruin" something I love with some banal writing on my day. Sometimes I'll throw in some quotes, but I haven't yet mastered the art of making my writing add to the page as an artistic element. Lettering seems to require more planning and detail work than I want to engage in. 



No comments: